So right after getting off the plane, we were greeted by our local “chauffer” and brought us to Regency Hotel Macao, where we stayed for the duration of the stay. Needless to say, nothing has topped our Disneyland adventure of 2009, including the hotel accommodations. Having spent half of my day at the office, and the other half at the airport and travelling, I was pretty darn tired and hit the sack at once! Good night Macau!
Saturday, 14th April 2012, was our first official day! Itinerary for the day was already booked as we arranged a city tour from morning till afternoon. We had breakfast at the hotel, and were picked up by the bus at the hotel lobby. Traffic was bad going to our first stop of the tour -- the Museum, and St. Paul’s Cathedral. It was a very nice cathedral, too bad it was damaged by fire. We took lots and lots of pictures there as any normal tourists would.
Saturday, 14th April 2012, was our first official day! Itinerary for the day was already booked as we arranged a city tour from morning till afternoon. We had breakfast at the hotel, and were picked up by the bus at the hotel lobby. Traffic was bad going to our first stop of the tour -- the Museum, and St. Paul’s Cathedral. It was a very nice cathedral, too bad it was damaged by fire. We took lots and lots of pictures there as any normal tourists would.
| At Ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral |
| Pahinga mode lang... Credits to my Tita for the "feeling prenup photo" |
Third stop was the most exciting part of the tour – Free Lunch! Yes, free as it was already part of the package we had paid for. We had buffet lunch at the Riviera Hotel for about an hour before heading off to the City tour. I couldn’t say that it was the most indulging and tasteful meal I had ever had, as it was bland and not suited to my taste; except for a pastry dessert which was acceptable, and none the less delicious enough.
Last stop was the City tour. We had about a couple of hours to roam around the City, in which we spent window shopping. As we passed by jewellery store after jewellery store, I looked at the diamond rings in the display hoping that I would have one...Soon? I did hope so. When Ron would look at the rings with me, I would make it a point to make him look at the ones that stood out for me, secretly wishing he’d give me one as an engagement ring -- but the look on his face doesn’t show any interest, or gusto to buy me one. So I hoped, maybe not now, hopefully in the future.
Time flew by as it was already 4 o’clock... time to go back to the hotel. Tourists were dropped off by the Ferry, those going to Hongkong, and we were taken back to our hotel. Time for some needed rest as our feet were very tired from walking around for hours!
It was a few minutes past 5 in the afternoon when Ron and I decided to go around the hotel and find the swimming pool. We agreed to take a dip once we had the time to do so. When we got to the resort part of the hotel, we looked around and checked every facility they offered – game room, tennis courts, basketball courts and of course, the pool.
After looking around, we decided to settle at the little balcony placed between two small wooden doors that overlook the tennis courts. Since he had gone to Singapore three weeks prior to our trip to Macau, it was the first entire day we had spent together after being separated from some time. And having some alone time, we started catching up, topic after topic, people after people, we discussed things, laugh at happenings and such.
| To the left of this picture, andun yung "little balcony" overlooking the basketball court and tennis courts. |
In the middle of our conversations, I turned my back against him and looked at the tennis courts and basketball court. After not seeing the baskets in the basketball court, I immediately asked him if it was the basketball court. After saying that it was, and pointing the baskets, he hugged me from behind, and to my surprise, placed a box in the balcony in front me. Instinctively, I asked him what it was. Then he opened the box, and there was a simple diamond sitting on top of a two-looped-topped white gold ring. Again, to my surprise, I asked him what it was. Then he said it, “Will you marry me?”. Hands shaking and eyes almost filled with tears, I asked him, “Seriously?”. He placed his head on the back of my neck and jokingly said, “Will I buy it if I wasn’t?”. Still, filled with shock and an overwhelming amount of emotions – joy, fear, gratefulness, excitement – again I asked him, “Promise?”. He looked me in the eye, nodded and said “Yes! Will you marry me?”. I smiled whole heartedly, trying so hard to hold back the tears, – as I didn’t want to cry at my proposal –nodded, and gave my “YES!”. We hugged and kissed. Then he asked me to put the ring on my finger – and that broke the ice! We both laughed and I insisted he did the honors. He then, took the ring out of its box, held my hand, and placed it on my ring finger. He then kissed it, and we smiled at each other, hugged and kissed.
Sorry... No pictures during the proposal itself... Too excited!
After all the wave of emotions surpassed, he then told me that he had planned to give it to me when ride the Gondola later that night. But the thought of having my aunt and brother with us might challenge his courage, and might not deliver the proposal as how he wants.
We decided to head back to the rooms, and decided to keep the proposal to ourselves as we haven’t told my parents yet. Needless to say, though it wasn’t the most romantic proposal, it was perfect in its own little way. It was just us, deciding on our future. No crowd nor audience to pressure my answer. Just us. Ron and I, AND the ring.
At a few minutes past 6 o’clock, we went to the Venetian and rode the Gondola. We were so excited, as this would give us a sense of the Italian romance. During the ride, before passing by the first bridge, Portia – the Gondolier – asked me who Ron was, and I simply answered “My boyfriend.” Then she smiled, and asked my Aunt’s permission as she would ask us to do something in a few minutes. Remembering an Italian belief so popular, I couldn’t imagine how I could forget, I simply smiled. Then minutes away from the next bridge, she told us a story of her parents and how their 40-year marriage lasted with so much love. She said, “You see, me parents when they were boyfriend and girlfriend, zey kissed under ze bridge.” I don’t know if it was pure coincidence or well-thought of, but the Italians say that when couples kiss under the bridge, it brings joy, love, and luck to their relationship. As we were nearing the bridge, I felt myself turning red, as I have never kissed Ron in front of anyone! Then comes the bridge, Ron and I looked at each other and kissed. Then my Aunt didn’t get it on camera, so we had to kiss again, this time longer, as we were waiting for the shutters to go off.
Sorry... No pictures during the proposal itself... Too excited!
After all the wave of emotions surpassed, he then told me that he had planned to give it to me when ride the Gondola later that night. But the thought of having my aunt and brother with us might challenge his courage, and might not deliver the proposal as how he wants.
We decided to head back to the rooms, and decided to keep the proposal to ourselves as we haven’t told my parents yet. Needless to say, though it wasn’t the most romantic proposal, it was perfect in its own little way. It was just us, deciding on our future. No crowd nor audience to pressure my answer. Just us. Ron and I, AND the ring.
At a few minutes past 6 o’clock, we went to the Venetian and rode the Gondola. We were so excited, as this would give us a sense of the Italian romance. During the ride, before passing by the first bridge, Portia – the Gondolier – asked me who Ron was, and I simply answered “My boyfriend.” Then she smiled, and asked my Aunt’s permission as she would ask us to do something in a few minutes. Remembering an Italian belief so popular, I couldn’t imagine how I could forget, I simply smiled. Then minutes away from the next bridge, she told us a story of her parents and how their 40-year marriage lasted with so much love. She said, “You see, me parents when they were boyfriend and girlfriend, zey kissed under ze bridge.” I don’t know if it was pure coincidence or well-thought of, but the Italians say that when couples kiss under the bridge, it brings joy, love, and luck to their relationship. As we were nearing the bridge, I felt myself turning red, as I have never kissed Ron in front of anyone! Then comes the bridge, Ron and I looked at each other and kissed. Then my Aunt didn’t get it on camera, so we had to kiss again, this time longer, as we were waiting for the shutters to go off.
| Kiss under the Bridge |
And so the ride, continued. Portia sang, and there were lots of people taking pictures of her. Then nearing the end of the ride, she sang another song. This time, it was a Tagalog song... Dahil Sa’yo. I smiled again, as this was a song that tells the story of a person who is happy to have found someone who means the world and gives meaning to the world.
Again, I don’t know if it was coincidence, or well-thought of, but at that time, I was really grateful for having Ron in my life... that now, we are starting a new chapter in our lives – a life lived together. Then the ride ended, and the happiness did not pass. We headed off to dinner, had pizza and pasta, but still the cloud nine feeling was still there and couldn’t be brushed off!
We ended our night at the Venetian, having a go in the Casinos. With no luck, we didn’t win any. Too bad, we could have gain our wedding fund there. After a string of losses, we all decided to go back to the hotel and have a good night’s sleep.
Arriving at the hotel, I was still hyped by the proposal that happened. I wanted to take a picture of my ring, and how it looked on my finger. Then I waited for my Aunt to hit the showers, so I will have my opportunity. I took pictures of the ring – in the box, me holding it, and on my finger. I was so excited I took a lot of pictures, and was almost caught by my Aunt. I quickly hid it in my bag, and decided to sleep off the excitement.
![]() |
| I'm engaged! |


No comments:
Post a Comment